Botanical Name : Cynodon dactylon
Common Name : Durva Grass, Bermuda Grass
Tamil Name : Arugampul
It is the most sacred plant in India next to tulasi. According to India mythology, its said that Lord Ganesha swallowed a demon Analsura. Due to that Lord Ganesha was suffering from heat in body. Only after applying Durva grass juice on the forehead, he was relieved. The story just indicates that body heat due to pitta can be effectively removed by druva juice.
Durva is astringent and sweet in taste , sweet in the post digestive effect and has cold potency . It alleviates kapha and pitta dosa. It is used in skin diseases, blood disorders, thirst and burning sensation in the body. Generally it is used as lawn grass.
The whole plant of durva is used for medicinal purpose, externally as well as internally.
- Arugampul juice or powder increases hemoglobin levels and has good effects on anemic pregnant mothers. It is an excellent supplement for lactating mothers. It boosts Prolactin and so increases the quality and quantity of breast milk.
- Arugampul or Bermuda grass contains more than 65% of chlorophyll This helps in increasing the number of red blood cells in our body. It contains protein, fiber, calcium and phosphorus and potassium. It helps in maintaining the alkalinity of blood as it reduces acidity. It helps resists attacks of cold and is quick in removing phlegm.
- As a potent styptic, it effectively arrests the bleeding in dysentery, piles, menorrhagia, diarrhea, raktapitta, nosebleed etc.
- The grass is beneficial in the treatment of epilepsy and hysteria and in conditions associated with pain, due to vitation of vata dosha.
- It checks the uterine bleeding, strengthens the uterus, averts the abortion and augments the fetus growth. The plant juice given along with rice water and rock candy, curbs the vomiting. This is why in some parts of India, a few drops of durva juice is used for the new bride as nasal drops in the wedding ceremony.
- Durva roots are also used to augment the complexion of the skin.
- This grass improves digestion, cures stomach ailments. It has been observed that dogs, troubled with stomach ailments, search out and eat this grass. Hence the name Dog’s Tooth Grass.
- The paste made from durva taken with butter improves intellect and makes the face very attractive.
- Oil prepared with durva grass, pepper & cumin seeds is useful in many eye diseases. This is prepared with gingly oil and used on the head.